All types of hair require maintenance to certain extent but when it comes to curly hair, the struggle is real. The weather, pollution, hair products decide if you will be spending your day detangling the frizzy mess or not. However, you can keep your curly hair frizz under control.
Ask any woman with curly hair how much time it takes to get the hair to look presentable. The number of times you run out of products to tackle your problems is beyond anyone’s imagination. Curly hair requires a lot of patience and care (both of which most of us run out of). The upkeep of this type of hair is a maintenance cost in itself. If your curly-haired friend is always late then please cut her some slack because her hair kept her busy! She would be longing for an easier way out. We have exactly that for you. Let us dive right in the most-awaited blog on curly hair hacks especially when it comes to controlling the untamable frizz!
10 Easy Tips for Curly Hair Frizz Control
1. Pre-shampoo oiling
By common knowledge and through experience, all of us are aware that curly hair tends to be very dry. This lack of moisture gives rise to the frizz which makes it hard for anyone to manage the locks. In order to provide the required moisture to the hair, one needs to oil their hair religiously before washing them.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is light on the hair and non-greasy which makes it easier for application. Massage some coconut oil into your scalp and apply it evenly on the lengths of your hair. Keep it as is overnight or at least for 3 hours prior to shampooing.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is a great treatment for those curls. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil depending on the length of your hair. Massage the warm oil into the scalp and wrap a warm towel over your head. Rinse it off after 45 minutes to an hour.
- Castor oil: Castor oil has a bad reputation for being too sticky, however, it works the best on your hair. It adds shine and immense moisture to your dry curly hair. It is recommended to keep it overnight once applied on hair and then wash it off in the morning.
2. Honey as conditioner
Pure honey is considered to be a natural conditioner and softener for hair. Being a natural humectant, honey also moisturizes and keeps the moisture intact to give healthy looking hair.
Mix one-part pure honey with two parts water and pour it over your hair post shampooing. Once your hair is fully drenched in the mixture, let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Use this method once a week since honey tends to lighten your hair if overused.
3. Frizz-Control Hair Masks
You Will Need:
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 1 raw egg
Combine the almond oil and egg until you get a smooth mixture. Optionally you can just whisk the egg and apply it to your hair.
Section your hair and start applying the mixture to your scalp and through the length of your hair.
Wait for 40 minutes and then rinse your hair as usual.
You Will Need:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup yogurt
Cut the avocado and remove the pit.
Mash the avocado with yogurt to get a smooth paste.
Apply this paste on your hair and leave it on for 45 minutes.
Rinse it off with lukewarm water followed by a natural shampoo and conditioner.
You Will Need:
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- ¼ cup oil of your choice
Combine the Aloe gel with a carrier oil of your choice.
Apply the mixture to your scalp and through the length of your hair.
Leave it in for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with shampoo and condition your hair.
4. Homemade Detangling Hair Spray
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon flax seed powder
- 1 ½ cups water
Boil flaxseeds in water on a low flame for five minutes.
Stir continuously. Remove from flame and strain.
Transfer the liquid to a spray bottle when cold.
Can be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
To use, spray on semi dry hair post wash and spread the detangling spray evenly onto your hair using your fingers. Brush it out with a wide toothed comb.
5. Rose water spray
You will need:
- Rose petals
- Essential oil of your choice
Boil the rose petals with enough water so that the solution doesn’t become concentrated.
Make sure the flame is on a medium-high and keep stirring occasionally.
Once the water is cooled down, strain it into a spray bottle and add a few drops of any essential oil.
Use this pray on your hair post wash to keep them shiny and tangle free.
6. Almond oil as leave-in
Almond oil is rich in vitamin E which contains antioxidant properties. Antioxidants combat the free radicals which cause damage to your hair, keeping it healthy. It is also an emollient which helps keep moisture locked in your hair shaft.
When your hair is partially dried after a wash, apply a few drops of sweet almond oil to the hair and spread it evenly using your fingers. It works as a post-wash serum.
- Do not wash your curly hair every day as it can remove all the natural oils.
- Never sleep on a cotton pillowcase as it can create friction between the strands.
- Do not do heat styling often as it can strip off the moisture from your curls.
- Do not let your hair remain in tight ponytails all the time. The pulling can cause scalp pain.
- Only use natural products and ingredients on your hair for optimum results.
Curly hair can be tough to manage but with these tips and tricks, you can fix them up in a matter of few minutes. Practice all these important things everyday without fail and you will see results. Most importantly, don’t compare your hair to anyone else’s and do not be embarrassed of those beautiful curls, girl. Rock them with pride!
Did you find our “10 Easy Tips for Curly Hair Frizz Control” interesting, please let us know in the comments section.