It is said that our body is our temple and keeping it pure is our duty. This purity is what we call “cleansing” and for that we need a natural alternative to soaps – ubtan.
Since childhood we have been told to stay clean and fresh every day. The first thing we do when we wake up is take a bath. What do we do after a long day on the playground, a tiring office meeting, traveling miles to reach our destination? We go in the shower and cleanse ourselves to wash off all that musty, dusty aura. It is a part of our routine; we reach for our normal bar of soap or bottled minty bodywash involuntarily. Taking a bath is the most crucial part of maintaining the sanctity of our temple. However, what we don’t realize is, what we use to keep the temple clean is also of equal importance. Soaps can clean off all the bad things off of your body but they also wipe away the good moisture which our bodies produce to keep it healthy. Soaps can dry out your skin which in turn forces you to use expensive lotions to retain hydration. You get the gist?
You must be wondering “What can be a safer, organic alternative to soap and body wash which helps achieve cleanliness without damaging the skin?”
Don’t worry, readers. We got you!
Natural Ubtan Body Cleanser
Let us look at some disadvantages of using soap bar or body wash:
- If you are using a soap, you are putting yourself at risk for dry skin.
- The use of some different kinds of soaps causes people to break out in rashes or suffer from itchy skin.
- Soaps have added chemicals and preservatives which give them a good scent. Often times the ingredients used to make the fragrance can irritate the skin.
- Healthy skin pH is around 5.5, which is slightly acidic, but most conventional soaps have a much higher pH, sometimes as high as 11. All this can also worsen skin conditions such as acne, eczema, dermatitis, and rosacea.
- Detergents don't completely biodegrade, and they contaminate our water supplies, rivers, and oceans with toxic heavy metals like cadmium and arsenic.
- Lately, many conventional detergents contain antibacterial agents. They have no practical utility, and instead can cause problems to aquatic bacterial life.
Ingredients to avoid:
- sodium lauryl sulfate
- sodium laureth sulfate
- synthetic coloring agents (FD&C Yellow, etc.)
- artificial fragrance
Ubtan is a traditional skincare recipe that is used by many people in India on auspicious occasions like weddings, Diwali, etc. It is also used as herbal bath powder. Ubtan has been a part of culture since eons. It has a major role to play in Ayurveda too. The use of ubtan should be popularized again due to its medicinal, holistic and cosmetic benefits. In fact, kids should be taught to use ubtan as body cleanser since young age so they get used to it and not opt for a chemical-laden soap bar. This will help them to embrace natural wellness more effortlessly than adults who are conditioned to using soaps and washes and it’s not easy to give up such conveniences.
Benefits of using Ubtan:
- The unique blend of ingredients used to prepare Ubtan softens and soothes while effectively cleansing and exfoliating.
- Regularly using ubtan to exfoliate your body and face will help you get radiant and spot-free skin.
- Ubtan cleanses the skin deeply and clears out any impurities in your pores.
- Ubtan acts as a natural toner when applied to the face. It has lost luster and moisture to the skin, getting rid of any flakiness.
- Ubtan is a scrub which removes ingrown hair by deep exfoliation.
- Turmeric used in ubtan contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Ubtan also helps in removing unwanted hair from the body. Ubtan is actually a very gentle, natural, and safe method of body hair removal. In addition, this method is also very effective and cheap.
- It acts as a natural astringent, thus protecting you from acne.
- As it is made from all natural ingredients, it is biodegradable and does not cause any pollution.
- Ubtan has skin tightening benefits which can slow down ageing naturally. The process of applying and removing ubtan proves to be therapeutic as it symbolizes washing away impurities from your body and soul. It helps you to accept yourself just the way you are, promotes self-love and is an effective way to form a deep connection with your body.
DIY Ubtan Recipe
1 cup besan flour
1 tbsp turmeric
½ cup curd
- Add 1 tbsp of turmeric powder to 1 cup of besan.
- Mix both of these powders well and add curd to it.
- Upon mixing further, make sure there are no lumps in the paste.
- The paste should not be too runny as it needs to be rubbed well onto the skin.
- Apply the paste all over your body in circular motions to get rid of dry skin.
- The besan helps with exfoliation, turmeric gets rids of bacteria and curd helps with hydration.
- Wash off with warm water.
Use the above-mentioned ubtan recipe to clean your body daily instead of using soap or body wash. It provides deep cleansing, exfoliation, retains moisture and has anti-bacterial properties. It is best way to keep your temple clean all day, every day.
Did you find our “Natural Ubtan Body Cleanser” interesting, please let us know in the comments section.